We had a pretty good game today. Perhaps the opponents made us look good. I wouldn’t say a team of middle aged men would pose much of a resistance to us, but nonetheless a good win was a good game.
Since this was the last game of the year, why not enjoy ourselves and go out with a bang?
It was as enjoyable seeing everyone play with confidence as much as playing the game. I ruled the defence for once. After only 20 mins into the game, we were 3-0 up.
Then it had to come.
Farid was brought down in the box, and the ref did not hesitate to award a penalty. Once again, everyone turned their gaze to me. I knew I can’t run away. I had to take it.
Take it easy and take it the way I had rehearsed in my mind all these while.
Put the ball down on the spot, left boot to its left, right boot at the point of contact with the ball. Then take four steps back. Right foot back, left foot back, right foot back again, the left foot back. Go slightly further back to compensate for the greater strides from running later. Aim for the lower right corner. Just think of the lower right corner.
Now just wait for the whistle.
“PEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Left foot forward, take a look at the ball. Right foot forward, take a look at the target. Left foot forward again and take a last look at the ball, then strike the ball with the right foot!
“Please go to the lower right hand corner…”
My heart dropped when the keeper stayed his ground and did not dive. My shot was not struck very accurately so it drifted more to the centre. Fortunately, the keeper did not dive to the right either. He just landed on his ass and saw the ball sail past his left thigh.
GOAL!!!
My immediate celebration might a bit extravagant, but for those who knew the hat trick of misses earlier on, they forgave me.
Finally, I managed to get a goal before the year ended. And what a way to lay the previous ghosts to rest before the New Year began.
Happy New Year’s Eve everyone!!!
Sunday, December 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment