Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Runner's High

I used to think I was happy from running because I liked the feeling of fatigue and sweating. I felt happier if I could ran to the seaside because there is a sense of accomplishment of getting there. (ECP mac not very near to my house). Moreover I kinda liked the scenary and the place.

Then I stumbled upon a scientific explanatino for all these. Enjoy.

"Most people claim that runners high is a feeling of invincibility and superior performance that can be brought on by certain environmental surroundings. Environmental stimuli affects everybody in positive and negative ways. Divers swimming in clear, warm water seem to experience pleasant sensations, while those in dark, cold water seem to encounter panic, fear, anxiety, and depression.5 These feelings can also be associated with running. When running on a beautiful, sunny day in a place where the scenery pleases the runner, he or she is more likely to experience happiness or even a high, versus when running on a cold, rainy day, along dark, unknown scenery. When a runner is able to take in the scenery that is around them and almost become one with it, then the run will be enhanced. One runner, Jamie Hurley, wrote that "I feel wonderful and have no desire to hide it. I look around me and can breathe in the fullness of my natural surroundings - the trees, the dirt, the birds, the little critters, the sun, the terrain, the wind". When looking at the different aspects of runner's high, the environmental surroundings play an important role."

Don't understand? Nevermind. Everything can be explained in two simple words,

Runner's High.

No comments: