Last friday I went for a goalkeeping workshop organised by East Zone COE. Wonder why on earth would an outfield player would attend a goalkeeper's course.
Of course, I had to learn something abotu goalkeeping because there are no goalkeeping coaches in school.
The instructor was a middle aged man. He put on a collar shirt with a Singapore crest on it. I thought that was the standard practice on all FAS staffs' outfits.
"Good morning gentlemen, I am Bee Seng."
Oh my God! Lee Bee Seng! The national goalkeeping coach! Today's my lucky day!
Though he didn't really go through a lot of content with us, I think I got inspired by what he could do at his age.
I always thought football is for lads in their twenties. Once past 30, I should hang up my boots.
Lee Bee Seng showed us otherwise.
He was good. The way he fed the balls to the young lions keeper was so... Undescribable.
"Foot!"
"Hip!"
"Chest!"
"Head!"
Wherever he said it, the ball got to the exact body part of the keeper. The way he struck the ball was so crisp, so accurate. It's amazing. Not everyone at my age could do that. To be true, age does not play a factor in ball skills.
How he take his shots was even more incredible! Alright, maybe I had been a frog in a well. Never managed to see high level football in such close contact before. But, the way he struck the ball was so amazing. Power and accuracy into one...
I didn't learn a lot about goalkeeping on that day honestly, but I did realise that if you want to be good, any day would do.
And that influenced how I played my football today.
Two shimmies that made the defender stay on his feet. One instep push that got me into space. One through ball between two defenders. Of course, one first time shot with my left foot that ended up as powerful low drive into the net.
As much as I hated to say the following words, but today warrants them.
I am Good.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment