Sunday, August 30, 2009

Benny Prasad

I saw a great man today. Benny Prasad. Humble, talented, and yet very faithful.

His testimony was very powerful. He shared that he came from a well to do family in India, Bangalore. Expectations of him was high, and his parents placed a lot of on emphasis on academic success on him. However, he developed a side effect from the drugs that he took for treating asthma, which caused him to lose 60% of his lung power. He even said he got pierced by a javelin when he was 12. Maybe that's the reason why. His health became very poor, his grades weren't good, and his parents became disappointed with him.

He was considered such a failure and good for nothing that everyone gave up on him. Friends, family, society... Fortunately his teacher gave him some hope. "Everyone is useful. Everyone can be used for their own purposes. Benny, you can be used as a negative example..."

"My family called me a curse to the family! I bring curse and disgrace to the family. I was very hurt. I even tried to commit suicide when I was 16. There is no point in living. Living means shame, rejection, and disgrace."

"But I got to know Jesus when I was 16. He was willing to die for my sake to save me."

"I asked him, how is this possible, when I am not healthy, I am a disgrace, I am a good for nothing. I have no savings, I have no talent, I am not worthy."

"Jesus said no. He said He needed me, to become a blessings for the nations. I was not so sure of myself. But I trusted Him."

"Jesus, if it is your plan for me to bring blessings to the nations, I will do it all by your provisions. I will not draw loans from a bank. I will not owe anyone anything to do Your work. I will trust You to provide all that I need."

His friends laughed at him. No one believed in him. But Benny never had any doubts about Jesus's promise to him. Benny became a great man. His guitar playing skills became legendary. But Benny was as humble after all these years.

His small bundle of passports was very cute! haha.

"Jesus taught me how to play the guitar, but I don't know why others say I'm good at it. I merely added two drums to the guitar and the University of New York gave me a doctorate for it!"

Yeah you better listen and see how he plays the guitar. It is anything but ordinary. He is crazily good at it.

"Jesus gave me a new life again, to live life in a clean slate. I am thankful for Him putting a price on my life by paying for it with His own life. That is how much my life is worth in His eyes! He is willing to die for me, and He gave me hope. I am eternally grateful to Him!"

I feel very encouraged after listening to Benny's testimony. He was indeed, someone put under extreme circumstances, and He shone for the Lord! Somehow I can feel a connection between him and me. Just by that one line of his.

"Jesus taught me how to play the guitar."

I didn't receive any formal training in music or guitar either. In worldly terms, I picked up the guitar on my own, by learning how to read chords, by observing youtube videos. But deep down I know, my skills were a blessing to me by the Lord, who taught me how to play the guitar. Why do I say so? I did the same things even before I returned back to Christ, like reading chord diagrams, observing videos, but my guitar playing skills were as lousy.

After seeing Benny, I felt very excited. I know I am able to do great works for God in time to come! Because we have something in common.

Jesus taught us how to play the guitar.

No comments: